Digital Event, 17 November 2021 09.00-13.00
The Electrification Alliance recognises the need to switch away from fossil fuels toward the use of clean and renewable electricity as the main source of energy for all our applications. Many sectors, such as transport, industry, buildings and heating and cooling, are undergoing the process of electrification. It is increasingly powered by renewable energy sources like wind and solar and supported by demand-side flexibility. Moreover, smart electricity grids make the system highly sustainable, dependable and efficient.
For this reason, we will host the dedicated digital conference “ElectrifyNow: Which role for electrification in the Green Deal?” on 17 November.
The purpose of the event is to discuss and define the ways in which electrification can be supported to ensure it becomes the leading energy system in Europe, as our economies recover and as we work to stave off climate change.
We believe this event constitutes the perfect occasion to map out the next steps leading to the electrification of Europe. We hope you will be able to join us in this exciting debate.
09.00 – Opening of digital room
09.10 – High-Level Opening by Mr Michael Villa, Chair of the Electrification Alliance
09.15 – Opening by Mr Brian Motherway, Head of the Energy Efficiency Division at the International Energy Agency
09.30 – High-level Panel with
– Mr Ignacio S. Galán, Chairman and CEO of Iberdrola
– Mr Jean-Bernard Lévy, Chairman and CEO of EDF
– Mr Bernard Respaut, CEO of the European Copper Institute
– Mr Francesco Starace, CEO of Enel
– Mrs Laurence Tubiana, CEO of the European Climate Foundation
10.15 – Roundtable on energy production
Opened by a presentation of a practical case study showing the success of renewables and electrification, followed by a roundtable debate with
– Mr Nicolás González Casares, Shadow rapporteur on the Renewable Energy Directive and Member of the ITRE Committee at the European Parliament
– Mrs Walburga Hemetsberger, CEO of SolarPower Europe
– Mr Pierre Tardieu, Chief Policy Officer of Wind Europe
– Mr Dries Acke, Director Energy Systems at the European Climate Foundation
11.00 – Break
11.15 – Roundtable on electricity distribution
Opened by a presentation of a practical case study showing the success of the smart grids in supporting electrification.
– Mr Kristian Ruby, Secretary General of Eurelectric
– Mrs Antonella Battaglini, CEO of Renewable Grids Initiative
– Mrs Anna-Maria Karjalainen, Director for Clean Energy Transition at the European Copper Institute
12.00 – Roundtable on energy use and consumers
Opened by a presentation of a practical case study showing the success of the application of electrification to mobility.
– Mr Ismail Ertug, Rapporteur on the Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Regulation and Member of the TRAN Committee at the European Parliament
– Mr Philippe Vangeel, Secretary General of AVERE
– Mr Michael Villa, Executive Director of smartEn
– Mr Thomas Nowak, Secretary General of the European Heat Pump Association
– Mrs Julie Beaufils, Secretary General of EuropeOn
12.45 – Conclusions by Mr Michael Villa, Chair of the Electrification Alliance
13.00 – End of the Event